In alignment with the University of Chicago response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Computer Science will move to remote learning for the Spring 2020 quarter. Our foremost goal is to protect the health, safety, and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff, while maintaining a distinctive environment for education, research, and impact. Below is a list of resources for remote teaching, learning, and research, as well as campus-level updates and FAQs. If you have CS-specific questions about spring quarter preparations or information, please contact email@example.com.
University of Chicago Campus Wide Coronavirus Update: This website provides the latest COVID-19 health information and related campus announcements.
Planning for Teaching Remotely: As the University moves to remote learning for undergraduate and graduate classes in Spring Quarter 2020, the Academic Technology Solutions team created new resources on leveraging technology for remote teaching and learning. Visit the Teaching Remotely website for guides and training videos on leading online courses with Canvas and Zoom.
Specific Information (PSD & CS)
- CSIL Virtual Help Desk: CSIL will be providing a virtual help desk this quarter via Zoom. Learn more.
- Spring 2020 Tasks, New Policies and Resources: Zoom account, lecture recording, new policies, and helpful resources (including financial assistance).
- Special Grading Policy for Spring 2020:
- Undergraduate CS Majors and Minors: Students may request to take up to two courses as pass/fail with the consent of their instructors. Students must then submit a petition to their department to have those courses count toward Major/Minor requirements by Friday of Week 9. Information about how to submit a petition will be made available by the end of third week. More info can be found here.
- MPCS Students: Most students in the MPCS will be able to take one class Pass/Fail. The exact policy can be found here.
- PhD Students: PhD students in the Physical Sciences Division may request to take up to two courses as pass/fail for the Spring Quarter with the consent of the instructors. Students must request through their Department to have those courses count toward degree requirements by Friday of Week 9.
- Student Social Event: Graduate student weekly coffee breaks (Tue & Thur 4-6pm central time), and weekly happy hour (Fri. 5:30pm central time) via Zoom: learn more.